Updated VIM Setup

Michael Sharpe
6 min readDec 23, 2020

I learned vi in 1991 at university. I kind of immediately took to it, likely because I had messed around a lot with the DOS edlin.exe. The vi editor was so super powerful in comparison. At the time, Vim did not exist or was not popular. A few years later, Elvis and Vim started becoming popular. I played with Elvis for a while; I think it had syntax highlighting first. But Vim soon became more popular, so I switched to that. I have never really looked back.

I think it was in the early 2000s that Vimscript was born. I was doing a lot of C/C++ programming then, and I ended up writing a small script called a.vim, which switches between the source .c file and the corresponding header .h file. In the years since I played with many other scripts which others published. I never really got into the Vim package managers, so my VIM setup was pretty much a collection of fragments of published scripts and that I had written. Fast forward to yesterday, and basically, it was a mess imploding on itself. Everything worked; it was just all fragile and disorganized.

Today, I decided to start from scratch, toss out almost everything and build a set of config files that are clean, lean, and organized. Thankfully Vim now has a built-in package manager, and most published scripts are actually in git. It is a simple matter of forking/cloning the repos to install Vim packages now, making it super easy to contribute back possibly.

I was super surprised by how smoothly everything went. The latest versions of all the packages I installed, some of which I…

--

--

Michael Sharpe

Senior Software Architect located in Houston, Texas